Skip to content
  • 23

The Castle of Sargans

The prominent rock at the foot of Mount Gonzen (1830 metres above sea level) is the best location to overlook the Sargans Plains of the River Rhine, the Rhine Valley as well as the Seez Valley. In Roman times a watchtower was probably located on this rock. Even at that time it was already important to control traffic and trade.
In the 12th century the Counts of Montfort-Werdenberg-Sargans were attracted by this prominent location overlooking the valleys, and built the first tower. At first only one of their feudal vassals lived here as an administrator. Then, in 1260, the counts founded the town at the foot of the castle which they linked to the fortress with long stairs. At that time the counts themselves came to live in
Sargans. For seven generations these feudal lords ruled over lands that at times extended to the Pass of San Bernardino on their southern border to Lake Constance on their northern border. In the 15th century the castle was besieged several times but it was never conquered. The Counts could not, however, escape the general decline of the aristocracy. In 1483 the last count of the lineage, Count Jörg of Sargans, sold the fortress to the Seven Old Cantons
of the Swiss Confederacy.
When the bailiffs used the fortress as their seat (1483–1798), it was renovated and expanded. After an earthquake in 1459, the “Palas”, the main building, was renovated to its present form with living rooms, administrative chambers, and a large district courtroom. Because of its precious paintings of the bailiffs’ coats of arms, the district courtroom is of national importance. A further building
behind the “Palas”, which was built in 1460, had to be pulled down due to its dilapidated state in 1860.
Since 1899 the Castle has belonged to the Community of Sargans. As a landmark of the District of Sargans it is open to the public. A restaurant (since 1901) and a wine press cellar, as well as the Museum of Sarganserland are now located in the medieval building on the prominent rock.

previous arrow
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-landschaft
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-gonzen
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-wandmalerei-wappen
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-gonzen-aussicht
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-winter
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-winter-bugg-mathias
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-vogelperspektive
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-tor
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-fenster
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-mauer
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-aus-ne-martel
sarganser-kulturpfad-schloss-sargans-hinterschloss-ringmauer
next arrow
 

Opening hours

Museum of Sarganserland:
1st April to 31st October, daily 10 am – noon and 1.30 pm – 5.30 pm
phone +41 81 723 65 69
www.pizol.ch/sargans

Restaurant in the Castle: March to December, daily
phone +41 81 723 14 88

More information

Castle of Sargans – “Wächter des Doppeltors zu den Alpen”
Castle of Sargans – “Sarganserland / Ostschweiz”
News on the building history of Sargans Castle


Next stations

Your location